Friday, January 25, 2013


What’s In The Box


I walked into three successive debates with the same person with my computer, a few pieces of paper and a small cardboard box with a red ribbon tying it closed.  Before each of my turns at the microphone, I made a point to reach over and shake it several times.  I shook it hard enough that if something solid were inside, it would have rattled; but it was silent.  Then, I would nod, and proceed with my rebuttal.

The debates went well and I feel that I performed quite well.  I demanded points and facts from the proponent while I attempted to disprove each of them.

During the Q and A of the third debate, my opponent was feeling quite comfortable with our relationship.  His curiosity got the best of him and he asked, “Why do you carry that box with you?”

“It’s something that I highly value.” I replied and picked up the box very reverently and shook it again.

“Oh,” he then asked, “what’s in it?”

To which I replied that it was a ten carat raw diamond inside a small loaf of carrot cake. And, “It tells me what to say to each of your points.  Without it, I would be totally lost.”

“Prove it.” He said, “I don’t believe you.”

“I rest my case.” I said as I stepped away from the podium.

Walk the Path in Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment