Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Ignorance vs. Stupidity


Ignorance vs. Stupidity

We face, in this new century, a burgeoning world population which is straining the very backbone of our survival. China is polluting its own drinking water so much that 'cancer villages' are showing up by the hundreds. Eastern Europe is now the smoking capital of the world. There are billions of tons of trash floating in the Pacific Ocean.

And, over that, there is religious strife that is threatening war on almost every continent.  We read of a rape victim, yes I said victim, who is executed for being raped.  That's right, she was executed!

Religious zealots will stop at nothing to have their own beliefs taught to our children whether we approve of it or not.  And, in the same breath, they will fight to stop someone else's beliefs taught along side theirs.

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." - Socrates  I wish Socrates hadn't used the word ignorance. I think the greater evil is stupidity.  Ignorance is simply defined as 'not knowing'. 

I can live with ignorant people around me. I only ask that they try to learn before commenting or acting on something. Most ignorant people will at least listen to you if you can express the new information at their level.

Here's the problem: The stupid are among us, too.  Stupidity simply defined is 'not knowing and not caring if they know'.  How can someone live their lives and not care if what they think they know is accurate?

Imagine that! Saying, "I don't care if what I know is right! I'm happy this way!"

"Don't know vs. Don't want to know what's real." Is this the future of mankind?

Walk the Path in Grace

3 comments:

  1. How you ask? Well because I believe what I think I know to be true.

    I don't consider you stupid or ignorant for clinging to your disbelief .

    I'm not stupid or ignorant for believing in God. You could view me as misled.

    It doesn't seem right to condemn those that don't agree with you to stupidity or ignorance. That is illogical and unscientific. Doesn't seem to be a pathway to truth. It comes across more as bullying and hellfire condemnation. And isn't that what you dislike about believers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You miss my point. This is more than a religious topic.

    Ignorance is easily corrected by wanting to learn. Stupidity, on the other hand, is being satisfied without wanting to keep learning.

    Stupidity is dangerous to us all because stupidity leads to misunderstanding which leads to violence which leads to wars.

    ReplyDelete